Saturday, March 7, 2009

Quick and Dirty Reviews: Watchmen

I am not claiming to know how to review a film. In fact, many people will disagree with my movie tastes (take for example the fact that I did not love the Dark Knight).
However, my new blog feature will be my quick and dirty film reviews.

I figured, hey, I try to watch 100 new-to-me movies during the year, why not share some of them?

The Quick and Dirty review simply states my immediate reactions to the film in question. What I enjoyed, what I didn't and whether I liked it or not.

This evening I saw my most anticipated film of the year.
Watchmen.
**Warning: May Be Slight Spoilers Ahead**


the good:
  • The opening blew my freaking mind. That's really all I want to say about it. Just, wow.
  • Patrick Wilson can do no wrong in my eyes. I love that man. I saw Lakeview Terrace for that man, and if you'll recall it was the top 5 worst movies I saw last year.
  • I loved (almost) the whole cast actually. Special acknowledgment has to go to Jeffrey Dean Morgan as The Comedian and especially Jackie Earl Haley as Rorschach They were perfectly cast. Also Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan was way better than I imagined. I have heard that people didn't like his voice but I found it to be perfectly empty and haunting.
  • The whole film looked absolutely fantastic. Completely gorgeous.
  • With the time constraints of a movie and the depth and complexity of the book, I have to say that all involved did a pretty amazing job. Sure, things were changed, but this is the most true to source material comic book movie I can recall.

the bad:
  • While the music was all awesome and I loved almost every song it was more in a "Hey this song is awesome" way than in regards to it actually fitting the film. The music seemed out of place (with the exception of the opening) and sort of distracting at points. In fact, in my theatre, almost every song that came on during the film caused the audience to laugh.
  • I didn't really like Malin Akerman as Laurie Jupiter. I can't quite put my finger on why. Her acting seemed a little teen drama to me.
  • Bubastis. For those who haven't read the book I am sure the cat with horns was a little confusing. Why include him at all if you are going to show that little of him and give absolutely no back story.

the verdict: I really really liked this movie. Would watch Watchmen again.

Again, these are just my immediate reactions to the film. I may even change my mind on some things once I sleep on it and once I see it again.

Also, the IMAX Experience is a waste of money unless the film was actually shot on IMAX.

No comments: