Sunday, October 19, 2008

This Is... My favourite film(s)!

This week's 'This Is...' theme is brought to us by Hokey.

I tried and tried and there is no possible way for me to narrow it down to just one favourite movie. I had a hard enough time getting it down to 10! I ended up grouping films in the same series together as one in order to keep my numbers down.

So here I present you, the trailers for my 10 favourite films (in no particular order)

*please note: not all trailers may be suitable for all audiences or appropriate to view at work*

It's All Gone Pete Tong

Funny, powerful, incredible sound design.

24 Hour Party People

Great music. Really funny. Steve Coogan is a legend.

Dawn of the Dead (ORIGINAL)

I chose Dawn to represent my adoration for George A Romero's 'of the dead' zombie flicks (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead). I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF THEM.

Evil Dead 2

I have still not seen the first of the Evil Dead trilogy, but Evil Dead 2 and it's successor 'Army of Darkness' have been high on my favourite movie list for many years. Absolutely hilarious, and made for an amazing MUSICAL. Bruce Campbell is my hero.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Hellboy is my absolute favourite superhero. Love the comics, love the movies, love the animated flicks.

The Boys and Girls Guide to Getting Down

I decided to check out this movie just because Jeff Davis is in it, but walked away surprised and pleased. The movie was really funny and extremely fun to watch, though it is definitely not for everyone.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Quirky and fun. I find that either you love the movie or you hate it. I LOVE it. I could just sit and watch it in mute and thoroughly enjoy watching the cinematography and the choices of colours. It's a great little film. Plus JEFF GOLDBLUM.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

I have to question any geek who doesn't include a Star Wars film on their favourite movies list. The original trilogy is an amazing story with breakthrough special effects. Most people love The Empire Strikes Back the most, but my favourite has to be Return of the Jedi. (I still live in a happy land full of denial when it comes to the new trilogy... Let's never talk of them again...)

Shaun of the Dead

The first of Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's "Blood and Ice Cream" trilogy. The second is Hot Fuzz and the third is the yet to be "The World's End". Wright has an amazing way of shooting that even the mundane become extremely exciting visually. Pegg and Wright's writing seems silly - and it is - but on repeated viewing (and trust me I have repeated) you can see the literally hundreds of movie references and little touches that make the script infinitely complex. They make it look so easy, I don't know how they do it!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The movie that got me into filmmaking. Monty Python has literally changed my life and showed me that I never have to grow up and I really can make a living being silly. I have spent hours on end watching, quoting and dressing up as characters from the Monty Python movies and televison show. And when I say hours, I mean one time my friends and I had a Monty Python-a-thon and watched 9 1/2 hours, including on the dvd player in my van on the way to McDonalds to get lunch.

To check out more "This is..."s and get in on the fun check out three buttons.

No comments: